Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A whole new life Part 1




So much has happened in the life of @nickWithMS in 2016.



Let's start with my job. On February 29, 2016, I started a new career as a Software Developer with Tyler Technologies. I decided that I had spent enough time working miserable hours for a meager wage while being bored 95% of the time.




I have no bad things to say about my previous employer: Enterprise Rent-A-Car. They were a good company. They treated me well, they gave me benefits and vacation time and paid me an incentivized salary which, while keeping me out of poverty, kept my bank account a little too close to the red for my comfort.




@CassyWitoutMs is a 2nd grade teacher in a neighboring town and, as part of her dedication to science, has her class participate in the Hour of Code. She had a guest speaker come to her room as part of this initiative and he informed the class of our country's severe shortage of Software Developers. Cassy, knowing that I would often write code as a hobby, suggested I try to make a career of it.


I took a few classes at a local community college and, after realizing that my skill level in the field matched or exceeded that of my professors, I decided to start applying at local technology companies as an entry level developer. And so, through the advice of my lovely wife, I am now officially in a stable and comfortable career.




And then, of course, we have the most exciting news of all... (next page)



1 comment: