Tuesday, April 16, 2013

6 years and counting



Here we are. April 16th. Today marks 6 years since my diagnosis.

Things are so much different than they were then. I remember a time filled with fear, confusion, and uncertainty. I suppose the ladder of the three will never go away but I have to remind myself that no one in the world - MS or not - knows what lies around the corner. My uncertainty is no different than that of the other 7 billion people on the planet (http://www.census.gov/popclock/)

Life is better after 6 years. The obvious reason, of course, being that my Multiple Sclerosis has been tamed. With the exception of one minor relapse 16 months ago - one which I feel guilty calling a relapse to an audience who have suffered days of blindness, immobility, and other seriously crippling effects. 

I never stop reminding myself how incredibly lucky I am at this point in my life to be able to enjoy it to the fullest without ever seriously feeling the effects of my disease. We all had to make changes since our diagnosis; little things that we don't even realize we comprimised over the course of time: how easily we get fatigued from taking a hike in the mountains, the fact that our vision gets blurry on hot summer days. I don't even associate these things with MS anymore, they are just part of life. Everyone gets uncomfortable, sweaty, and tired sometimes. It honestly doesnt even occur to me that my daily life is abnormal.

I've been on a reduced gluten diet. I'll post about that later. This entry is getting longer than my target audience has the attention span for. :-)

Stay stong; party on.
NickWithMS

No comments:

Post a Comment