Monday, April 1, 2013

Spring, Magnesium, and Quinoa



Good day everyone!

So remember my resolution to write something every day? Yeah. So much for that... I'm a bad person...

For those of you who follow me on Twitter (@nickwithms), you already know most of this.

I've developed some new symptoms recently. Mainly, muscle spasms. Severe ones. Mostly while I'm sleeping. I will jerk myself out of a sound sleep (anyone else have to read that line twice to make sure I didn't just get real.. REAL.. personal?) because my legs decided they wanted to kick the shit out of CassyWithoutMS in the middle of the night. It's not good for either of us. I had been complaining about feeling more fatigued than usual and finally one of my Twitter followers said "Hey. You're probably tired because your spasms keep waking you up." Why is it that the most obvious conclusions can be the hardest to draw sometimes?


"you had one job..."

After taking the advice of many people on Twitter and consulting with my Neuro, I am taking 250mg of Magnesium every day.

ALWAYS TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING  NEW MEDICATIONS OR SUPPLEMENTS! EVEN IF EVERYONE ELSE ON TWITTER IS DOING IT!

Since I've started taking the Mag, I've slept so much better. I fall asleep faster and sleep through the night without waking up. Better sleep obviously means less fatigue throughout the day which also means fewer regular symptoms. The tingling and tightness between my shoulder blades is almost completely gone now!

After doing some research, I've learned about how wheat has changed over the past 50 years. That's right, wheat. Like bread and cheerios and things... wheat. I know it sounds like my ADD is just kicking in and I just randomly changed the subject for no reason. Well, you're only half right.

Wheat - or more specifically Gluten - causes a ton more problems than just an upset stomach for people with Celiac Disease... It causes problems in everyone. Obesity, Fatigue, Diabetes, and Inflammation to name the most severe. 


"Diabeetus"

Rumor has it there may be a link between MS and Inflammation... seriously... I'm not joking.... So I've also decided to cut the Gluten from my diet. With the help of my friend and author of the health and fitness blog SearchingForCake, I'm going to try to adapt the Paleo Diet to fit my life.

For more info on Wheat, read this book: "Wheat Belly" It's informative and entertaining!

So that's what's going on with my MS right now. Happy Spring, everyone.
NickWithMS

click the ad below to help support my #FU2MS campaigns!
---

No comments:

Post a Comment