Friday, February 22, 2013

RRMSmobile



I brought my car to my most trusted mechanic (who also happens to be my stepfather) because it has been leaking oil at an alarming rate. Like... 3-quarts-in-a-week alarming. It turned out I needed a new $20 rubber o-ring on my oil pump. The oil pump, of course, is driven by my timing belt so it took 4 hours of labor to replace it. I figured, while they were taking it apart anyway, they might as well replace my timing belt and any other gaskets/o-rings in the area since the labor is the expensive part. $511 later, my leak is fixed, my timing belt is replaced, and a couple other cheap parts were swapped out for new ones before they had a chance to fail.


I love my Celica :)

Why the hell am I talking about this on my blog?

It occurred to me that my life is very similar to my car's. Most of the time, my car is just fine. I don't owe any money on it and, apart from filling it with fuel and the routine check-up for oil changes and tires, it doesn't cause me any problems. Every once in a while, though, something goes wrong without warning. Not enough to permanently destroy it, but enough that I need to have it looked at by a professional.

After a long diagnostic process, some small fixes and adjustments, and a good chunk of cash, it's back to normal again and all is well for a long time... until something else goes wrong.

My car is slowly but constantly wearing out and, every time something like this goes wrong, I can tell it's not exactly like it used to be... but it's pretty close. Doing little things to keep it healthy will help keep things from going wrong. Using high-end oils, not pushing it too hard, etc will all help my car last me as long as possible. Eventually, it will fail and there will be no way to fix it but, until that day, I will do everything I can to take it as far is it will go.

I hope my analogy didn't get away from me on this one.

Stay Healthy
Stay Moving
NickWithMS -->

No comments:

Post a Comment