Friday, August 17, 2012

Milestones

I woke up this morning and said to myself "How far can I run?"

My goal is to run my 5K on Sept 1 in under 35 minutes. I figured I would run as much as I can and walk when I need to. I just wanted to see how long it would take me to finish a full 5K today. From here, I can push myself harder and longer each practice until I get my time where I want it.

I mapped out my course - down my street, out of my development, down Rt 1 and back.

5K.

3.1 Miles.

Boom.

Let's do this.

I started out running the first Mile just fine. At that point, the course turns in to a literal uphill battle - Climbing about 70 feet in altitude in just under 1/2 mile. 

It was .42 miles of death. 

I had to walk.

At the top of the hill, I started running again until I hit my half-way point.

I turned around and ran back toward my house - back down the hill and back toward my development.

2.5 miles in, I couldn't run anymore.

Again, I had to walk to let my muscles rest for a minute.

I walked to the end of my development and ran the rest of the way home.

5K complete. 

Time - 34:31

I stopped to take 2 breaks and still beat my goal.

My goal clearly isn't hard enough

Let's see how fast I can do this.

New Goal: 5K in 32 minutes.

Boom.


No comments:

Post a Comment