Monday, July 23, 2012

Life Rules

So, this idea was started by my buddy Kirk at some point. When ever someone would state a fact, it would be labeled as a random Life Rule...

For instance. One time we were trying to move a large piece of furniture (an entertainment center or something... something with a lot of surface area). It was clearly hard to slide across the floor so I made the comment "There's just too much friction!" to which someone replied "There is never too much friction." That soon became "Life Rule #12: There is never too much friction"

There were not actually 11 other life rules... it was just a fun game to play.

Life rule #1 was the only one that had a static number. I decided to build on this and come up with good life rules to live by, starting with Kirk's original #1 rule.

Keep in mind, these rules are not listed in order of importance. This is both because a) I don't care and b) comedic effect. When I hand someone a bottle of water and say "Life Rule #5: Hydrate," they normally say back to me "What is life rule number 1?" to which I reply:

Life Rule #1: Always Check Your Pockets on Laundry Day

Anyone who has ever heard a strange sound coming from their drier and simultaneously wondered where the hell they left their damn cell phone only to pry open the door in a state of panic hoping it's merely the sound of their kitten being smashed against the drier walls and not that of their beloved iPhone knows this lesson all too well. Luckily for me, the worst thing I've ever put through the wash was my Passport.



Life Rule #2: Show Up; See What Happens

This is an important rule. Often times, I know I need to do something or be somewhere and I'm just not in the mood to do it. The fact of the matter is, I have no reason not to participate other than laziness and apathy. I used this motto a lot during College. Many times, I couldn't find the motivation to get up and go to class so I would ask myself "What am I going to do if I don't go?" Usually the answer was "Do nothing and be bored" so I would end up going and realizing that most of my friends were there anyway.

I find people put so much emphasis on preparation and scheduling when, in all actuality, most things only require you to show up. Things will work out. Things always work out. Just show up and see what happens.


Life Rule #3: Never Assume Anything

The original name for this rule was "You Never Know." This rule came in to existence as a joke in 2006 when I was unpacking my clothes in my stateroom on a Family Cruise Vacation. My sister asked me why I packed so many hats and my response was "Well, you never know!" As it turned out, I lost one of my hats in a gust of wind from the ship and I is probably still finding its way around the Caribbean right now.

The truth is, we never know. It is human nature to draw conclusions, deduce, and assess. However, I've found people argue over so many things that either can't be proven or about which they are simply uneducated. Granted there are certain things that we can indeed say we know. However, even if I know someone is wrong, I try to take the time to listen to their argument. What if the Earth really does revolve around the sun? What if sickness is really caused by microscopic organisms and not Evil Spirits?

Every day someone is going to tell me that something I know to be true is incorrect. One day, they are going to be right.

Life Rule #4: Don't Forget to Breathe

This one seems so stupid. But seriously, I often find myself getting so stressed out or worked up about something that I hold my breath and have to remind myself to breathe.

This doesn't just mean physically moving air in and out of your lungs by constricting and relaxing the diaphragm. It means to take time and space away from something before it drives you insane. Taking time to "breathe" and think something through and knowing when to walk away from something for a few minutes has made my life infinitely less stressful. With very few exceptions, everything can wait 60 seconds. Sometimes, we have to remind ourselves of that.


Life Rule #5: Hydrate

Again, this one seems like a dumb thing to write down. I don't have a metaphor to go with it. This one is as simple as it sounds. Drink plenty of water. I never drink enough water and find myself overly exhausted, especially on hot days. Put down the Starbucks for a minute and have a bottle of water. Your body will love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment