Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 3 - Not setting any world records

Ok. It is Thursday of Week 3 of my 5K training. DAMN! This is much more difficult than I had originally thought. I knew it would be a challenge, but I figured it would be a slight challenge only toward the end of each run. If there is one thing I'm not good at, it's being wrong. GOD DAMMIT I HATE WHEN I'M WRONG! 

I've been logging all my runs/walks with the RunKeeper app for iPhone. Yeah, there's an App for that... It has been wonderful at tracking my times, distances, and average pace. As disappointed as I am with my average times and embarrassed as I usually am to post them on my Facebook, I am incredibly happy to see that my times are actually improving as my distances get longer!

I just ran 1.5 miles around my neighborhood. I had to stop a couple times to walk for about 1/10 mile, but I was able to run most of it. This time last week, I couldn't even finish out a full mile. Don't make fun of me, ok. I'm not a professional runner... yet.

It has been quite rewarding to see how my average pace has improved over the past few weeks. On June 28th, I was scheduled to run/walk the same 1.5 mile course and had an average time of 14:13/mile. Today, I did the same track with an average time of 10:56. As I said, I'm not setting any world records but I took 3:19 off my mile. That is a huge improvement for me. At this rate, I will probably end up having to walk a portion of my 5K, but I'm looking to finish in less than 35 minutes. If I can do that, I will consider it a success.

Next week, I am on vacation in the White Mountains so we'll see how much running I'm able to do.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment